This week I have been sewing orders for Capes and Superhero Masks and next week it’s orders for cushions… but I took a couple of evenings out to sew up these lovely Sew Over it Eve Dresses. Here is the amazing medium weight crepe fabric I got from Ebay after I pre-washed it… on the washing line in the sunshine – I couldn’t wait to get started!
I really enjoyed the challenge of cutting out the pattern peices as I have never worked with border print fabric before (and always secretly wanted to!) Pattern placement was tricky but it was fun deciding where the flowers would go. Once everything was cut out, I made the longer version with the dipped hem. I tried to grade the front bodice from a size 8 to the largest size. I knew I could always cut some off and I was worried about having enough fabric at the front. I sewed the Sew Over it Wrap Dress a while back and had trouble with it going round me (this is a common problem for me with ready to wear too). I have to sew the size 8 for my narrow shoulders. As it happens it was fine so the second time around I stuck to a straight size 8. I made 2 versions as the first one was too fancy for the school run! I will have to wait for a special occasion to wear it. I couldn’t wait that long hence the shorter version!
I added some extra stitching in the front (on both versions) to keep it from gaping. I bought a cheap jesery dress from H&M to wear underneath as the fabric is fairly shear. I am glad I did, as I wore it to the Carnival today and it was soooo windy! I added a satin ribbon and lace edging (Fabricland bargain at 70p!) to the second version. I also rolled the sleeve hem over again since it showed a little first time around.
Overall – I am so happy with these dresses. The pattern is fantastic and it’s great that I don’t need to make any alterations another time. I am really pleased with my pattern placement – it was a risk that paid off! I can’t wait to make more of these, I think it’s my favourite so far – but of course it helps when the fabric is this amazing 😉